Saturday, October 3, 2009

Blog Journal #4

As a teacher, I will teach my students how to use outlines, idea maps, and storyboards because these organizational techniques can greatly assist in the learning process. Outlines help students to think about relationships of their subject and organize information accordingly. I will teach my students how to create an outline using Microsoft Word because I think the computer will help them to neatly organize their outlines. Idea maps help students to think about relationships and organize information. I will teach my students how to organize their information using presentation software such as Kidspiration, a version of Inspiration for younger children. Storyboards help students organize their information after they have already created an idea map. I can teach my students how to incorporate graphics, text, video, audio, and other features into their storyboards.

I would encourage my students to develop outline, idea map, and storyboarding skills. Outlining is a great way to get students thinking and making relationships about information. Idea maps help students to think more in depth and to connect information. Story boards are a great technique because they let students present their organized information while incorporating graphincs, text, video, and audio. These skills will help students make connections and really think about their subject.

New skills that I have acquired in the last week that I think will be especially useful in my educational career are how to use mail merge, how to make a podcast, and how to search better. I think that learning about how to use the mail merge feature will definitely save me time in my teaching career. I can send out mail to parents and to other teachers more efficiently than before. I think that learning how to make a podcast will benefit my students because I can post podcasts on my class website. I will include podcasts of lecture material in case my students want to review. Many students learn better by hearing and can get more out of the information if it is spoken aloud. Learning how to search better will benefit both my students and I. I will be able to search for class material faster and smarter. Consequently, I will be able to teach my students how to search for material more efficiently.

5 comments:

  1. Very insightful writings...keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea for using a podcast to teach students. That would be especially useful for reviewing for tests because they could just listen to your lecture/lesson again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making podcasts for students to review is a good idea!! I wasnt here for that day and Im a little disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of Kidspiration before, but that sounds like it could be very useful in an Elementary school setting. I agree wiht you that mail merge will definitely be beneficial in a teaching career because it will save so much time writing personalized letters to parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of posting podcasts with lectures online, that way if there is a complex concept that you are not sure all students understand you can post it and they can watch it as many times as they need!

    ReplyDelete