Thursday, November 5, 2009

Blog Journal #7

An interesting web-based tool or resource that I might use when teaching is a website called A to Z Teacher Stuff. The site provides creative resources such as worksheets, themed lesson plans, and teacher e books. You can also find teacher tips on the website. This is a great site for teachers because all of the resources and worksheets are completely free and the site offers really great ideas for fun lesson plans. The link to the site is http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/.

As a teacher, I will use Excel and similar programs to keep track of my students' grades and for class projects. Excel is a great program for keeping track of grades because it is efficient and saves time. Once the formula is typed in, there is nothing more to do. Also, if there are a lot of students in my class, Excel will be a great help keeping track of all the grades. I also plan to use Excel and similar programs to keep track of class projects. Science projects require data and graphs, so if I were to do a science project with my third grade class I might record the data on Excel and then graph it for the class to view.

A good example of a case that uses Excel creatively in a school setting is in a science experiment. The theme of the experiment is the temperature of water at different times of the day. Students will be given a cup of water that they will put outside. They will be asked to record the temperature of the water in the cup every three hours. The students will then record this data in Excel and find the mean, median, and mode of the temperature. The students will learn how the time of day affects water temperature and how to use excel to find solutions to formulas.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a pretty neat website, I'll have to remember to check it out. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The A to Z Teacher Stuff website sounds really interesting and helpful for teachers! When I become a teacher I am definitely going to check that out! Also, I think that I will use Excel for grade books as well! I agree, it is a great took for keeping track of grades. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete